Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Please select the black square:

What are the causes of chest pain?

Pain can be caused by almost every structure in the chest. Different organs can produce different types of pain but unfortunately the pain is not specific to each cause. Each of the following causes is explained in detail in this article:

• Broken or bruised ribs
  • Pleuritis or pleurisy
  • Pneumothorax
  • Shingles
  • Pneumonia
  • Pulmonary embolus
  • Angina
  • Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
  • Pericarditis
  • The aorta and aortic dissection
  • The esophagus and reflux esophagitis
  • Referred abdominal pain
Return to Chest Pain

Comment from: GD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I was blowing my nose while bathing, pressure was so intense that it caused sudden back pain, and I was immovable for minutes and then the pain was unbearable. I visited the doctor and took medicines, back pain is reduced but chest pain is still there. It is 15 days from that, and chest pain occurs while waking up from sleep.

Comment from: Laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I woke up one morning and suddenly had pretty severe fatigue and tight squeezing in my chest. I went to the emergency room (ER) and test showed I had a heart attack. Angiogram showed arteries were perfect, low cholesterol, great blood pressure. They said it is a spasm of the artery in the heart. Don't know the cause. They put me on a drug to control it but I had a bad reaction to it and ended up back in the ER, now just have to carry the nitro with me until they find a drug that might work. I couldn't get a follow up appointment for 6 weeks. I am still having mild problems which I now realize I was having for about a year. I am very fit and never thought just fatigue was heart problem.