Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Please select the black square:

What are the causes of chest pain?

Pain can be caused by almost every structure in the chest. Different organs can produce different types of pain but unfortunately the pain is not specific to each cause. Each of the following causes is explained in detail in this article:

• Broken or bruised ribs
  • Pleuritis or pleurisy
  • Pneumothorax
  • Shingles
  • Pneumonia
  • Pulmonary embolus
  • Angina
  • Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
  • Pericarditis
  • The aorta and aortic dissection
  • The esophagus and reflux esophagitis
  • Referred abdominal pain
Return to Chest Pain

Comment from: Christine M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My chest pain was caused by Takotsubo cardiomyopathy brought on by severe stress. Because I have a history of psychiatric problems, the pain was assumed to be a result of anxiety, and I was not assessed or given an ECG for three hours. Within minutes of having the ECG done, I was moved to Cardiac Care where I stayed for three days. I suffered a great deal of physical pain and discomfort and emotional trauma due to this lack of compassionate care.

Comment from: brennie12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I suffer from shortness of breath and chest pain when I walk up a hill or stairs. I went to the doctor, and he found I had an enlarged liver. The enlargement could have caused pressure and caused the chest pain, he said.

Stay Informed!