Cerebral Palsy - Symptoms

What are the main symptoms associated with cerebral palsy in you or a relative?

What are symptoms and signs of cerebral palsy?

The predominant symptoms and signs of cerebral palsy are related to motor difficulties, which are the consequence of the brain damage. The extension and severity of the brain lesion is the leading factor in the magnitude of the motor deficit. Many of the symptoms observed in these children are related to the primary problem that is impaired motor functions. For example, developmental motor delay, gait disorders, poor fine and gross motor coordination, swallowing disorders, or speech delay are all the result of the basic motor disorder. The way they present varies from child to child. For that reason, it is difficult to describe a clinical picture that will satisfy every child with cerebral palsy. The clinical presentation, even though with many common features, is very much unique for a particular child. In addition, the comorbid conditions add more to the uniqueness of the presentation of the child with cerebral palsy. For example some children may be blind, while others may have normal vision; or some children may have severe cognitive delay while others may have normal or near normal cognitive level.

Return to Cerebral Palsy

Comment from: Dana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am 46 years old, now I walk with slight limp and my speech is a bit raspy and quivery. I can jog short distances (2-3 miles). But there are things I can't do, and I just accept that, and be grateful for what I can do.

Comment from: rjp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have CP (cerebral palsy). My disability is described best by saying that I am spastic and rigid and my balance is affected as well. Lucky for me I can drive without supports. I have recently started using a cane that helps steady me for balance. Without the cane I fall a lot.