Inflammatory Breast Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer?

Please select the black square:

What is inflammatory breast cancer?

Inflammatory breast cancer is a rare form of breast cancer. It is typically a very aggressive disease and is called "inflammatory" because the cancer cells block the lymphatic vessels, resulting in changes in the breast (swelling and redness) that make the breast appear to be inflamed. Over 230,000 women in the United States are diagnosed with breast cancer each year; inflammatory breast cancers make up only 1%-5% of breast cancers.

Return to Inflammatory Breast Cancer

Comment from: nancy k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I wonder how many inflammatory maladies are caused by homes with infestation of bats. We are misled by science as to the habits of bats. They preyed upon me long term. I am a sixty year old female who is a survivor. My boots have been on the ground in an infested environment. I had no tolerance to the undetected animal bites. By October, (breast cancer awareness month) the inflammatory breast cancer occurred. My condition in the breast and gland area was painful, itchy, and swollen. Doctors did not take a close look on the lower forearms where the bites occurred. The small holes, bloody, or scars are quite round and very visible, most unbelievable! My prognosis is not grim, in fact, excellent because I moved into a secure house before the two year treatment for glandular carcinoma.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I noticed my left breast was getting bigger. I had no pain or any other swelling. I thought it was because I was on HRT (hormone replacement therapy). After about 5 weeks I noticed a bruise on that breast. That was when I went to the doctor and was diagnosed. I had no history of breast cancer in my family. I had just had a mammogram 4 months ago which came out negative. I was extremely healthy in every other way. It was diagnosed first by a punch biopsy in the office. I then had to go through a bilateral breast MRI which was the only way they could tell how involved it was. After many other scans and tests, I fortunately had no other metastasis. I am also a registered nurse (RN) and I had never heard of inflammatory breast cancer. After everything I was told I had a poor prognosis as I had 6 lymph nodes involved. It's been 8 years now and no recurrence. I had the HER2/neu factor.