Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in urine.

What is blood in urine (hematuria)?

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, can be either gross (visible) or microscopic (blood cells only visible through a microscope). Gross hematuria can vary widely in appearance, from light pink to deep red with clots. Although the amount of blood in the urine may be different, the types of conditions that can cause the problem are the same, and require the same kind of workup or evaluation.

People with gross hematuria will visit their doctor with this as a primary complaint. People who have microscopic hematuria, on the other hand, will be unaware of a problem and their condition will most commonly be detected as part of a periodic checkup by a primary-care physician.

Return to Blood in Urine

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had blood in my urine for almost a week. Urine looks like fruit punch most of the time. Blood work was fine, except creatinine was 4 times higher than normal. I am waiting for specialized urine tests. I also have blood in my stool. Prostate is ok. No symptoms, no pain in back, blood pressure is 110/78, and no pain when urinating. Gastrointestinal specialist scheduled in a week, no urologist scheduled yet.

Comment from: ralph, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 80 so as one can imagine have an enlarged prostate. Six days ago in the morning I had bright red blood in my urine; none since then. I am waiting to see if it happens again.