Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in urine.

What is blood in urine (hematuria)?

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, can be either gross (visible) or microscopic (blood cells only visible through a microscope). Gross hematuria can vary widely in appearance, from light pink to deep red with clots. Although the amount of blood in the urine may be different, the types of conditions that can cause the problem are the same, and require the same kind of workup or evaluation.

People with gross hematuria will visit their doctor with this as a primary complaint. People who have microscopic hematuria, on the other hand, will be unaware of a problem and their condition will most commonly be detected as part of a periodic checkup by a primary-care physician.

Return to Blood in Urine

Comment from: mky4963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had gross hematuria for several months. My doctor says they have done every test to find the source of the blood in urine, but didn't. They told me yesterday that there is nothing else they can do. Diagnosis is benign gross hematuria. It is each and every time I urinate. I also have bad pain in my back.

Comment from: laney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had been taking Aleve for knee pain for about 3 weeks straight. I then started urinating very visible amounts of blood in my urine for about 3 days, at which point I went to a walk-in clinic to be tested for a urinary tract infection. The culture came up negative, and the bleeding had stopped, but I wasn't satisfied so I went to my doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound of my kidneys, and wanted me to follow-up with a urologist and have a cystoscopy done. At this point there was no blood visible but there was still blood in my urine. The urologist sent me for an ultrasound of my bladder and did another dip test, and I still had blood in my urine (although I wasn't able to see it). He sent the urine out for cytology and set up an appointment for the cystoscopy the next week. I just had the cystoscopy yesterday, and all my tests came back normal. There was also no blood in my urine yesterday. I'm extremely relieved everything is ok, and the doctor feels it was due to the amount of Aleve I had been taking.