Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in urine.

Please select the black triangle:

What is blood in urine (hematuria)?

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, can be either gross (visible) or microscopic (blood cells only visible through a microscope). Gross hematuria can vary widely in appearance, from light pink to deep red with clots. Although the amount of blood in the urine may be different, the types of conditions that can cause the problem are the same, and require the same kind of workup or evaluation.

People with gross hematuria will visit their doctor with this as a primary complaint. People who have microscopic hematuria, on the other hand, will be unaware of a problem and their condition will most commonly be detected as part of a periodic checkup by a primary-care physician.

Return to Blood in Urine

Comment from: Alok, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

On 27th Sep 2015, gross hematuria was found first time. CT scan revealed kidney was well in shape and size. Prostate was 29 gm that the doctor says was slightly enlarged. Bladder was normal in shape and size, no mass seen, and no diverticulum, just a slight thickening of bladder wall. Liver was well in shape and size. Blood test showed PSA normal, creatinine normal, HB 15.8, but blood sugar 300 mg/dL. Means I was diagnosed to be diabetic (type 2) though there were never any usual symptoms. Since then I have had gross hematuria (blood in urine) every 15 to 20 days, thick clots. Hematuria is not total when it starts, always terminal, then either initial with clot or terminal with clot. I had very low degree pain around pelvic area, at times sharp pain waves going to the rectum area from bladder side. Gross hematuria stops in 24 to 36 hours by taking Pause (tranexamic acid) tablet. No fever ever. I noticed that if I press hard to urinate bleeding starts, looks like from the neck of the bladder. I don't know if it is hemorrhagic cystitis or prostatitis. Urologist is unable to tell. He has ruled out bladder cancer as urine cytology was normal. I am ruling out prostatitis as there was no blood seen in sperm immediately after or before urinating blood. In 3 months I have had 6 episodes of gross hematuria. However diabetes during these 3 months has been absolutely under control. I am taking metformin and diabetes has been under control (fasting usually is 80 to 90 mg/dL and post-prandial is 125 t0 140 mg/dL.

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had blood in my urine for almost a week. Urine looks like fruit punch most of the time. Blood work was fine, except creatinine was 4 times higher than normal. I am waiting for specialized urine tests. I also have blood in my stool. Prostate is ok. No symptoms, no pain in back, blood pressure is 110/78, and no pain when urinating. Gastrointestinal specialist scheduled in a week, no urologist scheduled yet.