Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in urine.

Please select the white circle:

What is blood in urine (hematuria)?

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, can be either gross (visible) or microscopic (blood cells only visible through a microscope). Gross hematuria can vary widely in appearance, from light pink to deep red with clots. Although the amount of blood in the urine may be different, the types of conditions that can cause the problem are the same, and require the same kind of workup or evaluation.

People with gross hematuria will visit their doctor with this as a primary complaint. People who have microscopic hematuria, on the other hand, will be unaware of a problem and their condition will most commonly be detected as part of a periodic checkup by a primary-care physician.

Return to Blood in Urine

Comment from: Clem, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had two of three drops of blood in my first urination of the day (after lying down for several hours), this has been on and off for several months. The only other time a drop or two of blood mixed with urine escapes my urine is if I am constipated and push. My feeling is that my enlarged prostate is the culprit, 8.6 on my last PSA, but my 24 section biopsy was clean. My urologist never heard of only the first drop in the morning urine having blood, the rest of the day shows no sign of blood. Anyone with a similar situation who got a clear answer, I"d love to hear from.

Comment from: jar, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

My son has type 1 diabetes, high protein in his urine, and now has gross hematuria. All tests have been negative, and now they want to do a scope, and a kidney biopsy. I wonder if it could be caused by risperidone which he started taking about a year ago and this blood only started showing up about 6 months ago. Nothing else has changed!