Sunburn - Experience

Have you ever experienced a really bad sunburn? What was it like?

Please select the black triangle:

What is sunburn?

Sunburn is an inflammation of the skin that is caused by overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. A similar burn can follow overexposure to a "sun" (UV or tanning) lamp. UV radiation can also damage the eyes, although no surface burn is apparent.

Sunburn is a very common condition. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the United States, approximately 50% of adults age 18 to 29 report having at least one sunburn in the preceding year.

Return to Sunburn (Sun Poisoning)

Comment from: babs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

As a child I got sunburns that caused blisters, chills, fever, dehydration. As a teenager I thought I'd not get them any more cause I was tanning but not so I got burns that blistered, chills, dehydration, flu-like symptoms, and felt going to sleep. When I was older I thought I shouldn't get burned anymore because I knew how to cover up, ya right. I still get sunburns and some worse than others. The sun hates me!

Comment from: Angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

When I was in my early 20s, I got a severe sunburn (sun poisoning). Besides the excruciating pain of the burn itself, it caused me to retain fluids in my body. My face was so swollen that a close friend couldn't recognize me. I could not move my arms because of the fluid build-up. I had to have help getting dressed and doing other things. It was awful and it took several weeks before all of the symptoms were resolved.