Foot Problems with Diabetes - Experience

What kind of problems have you had with your feet due to your diabetes?

Please select the black triangle:

Diabetes and foot problems facts

• Two main conditions, peripheral artery disease (PAD) and peripheral neuropathy, are responsible for the increased risk of foot problems in people with diabetes.
  • People with diabetes have an increased risk of ulcers and damage to the feet.
  • A number of different kinds of foot problems can occur in people with diabetes. These include bunions, corns, calluses, hammertoes, fungal infections, dryness of the skin, and ingrown toenails.
  • Treatment depends on the exact type of foot problem. Surgery may be required for some cases.
  • Gangrene (dry gangrene) is tissue death due to absence of blood circulation. It can be life-threatening if bacterial infection develops (wet gangrene).
  • Many diabetes-related foot problems can be prevented by good control of blood sugar levels combined with appropriate care of the feet.
Return to Diabetes and Foot Problems

Comment from: Mary B., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

For the last year I have a problem with my feet. They both feel like I have dried egg yolk on my feet (top/bottom), up to my ankles. They feel warm all of the time. I have asked 6 doctors about this problem. They have all checked pulses in my feet, and they say that my pulses are strong. They have no Idea as to what is causing this in my feet.

Comment from: paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I got a piece of nail like tool in my feet and that has caused me to have a surgery cutting my big toe off and a portion of the bottom of my feet. It is not healing well, then my other foot got infected real bad; I can hardly walk now.

Stay Informed!