Foot Problems with Diabetes - Experience

What kind of problems have you had with your feet due to your diabetes?

Please select the black square:

Diabetes and foot problems facts

• Two main conditions, peripheral artery disease (PAD) and peripheral neuropathy, are responsible for the increased risk of foot problems in people with diabetes.
  • People with diabetes have an increased risk of ulcers and damage to the feet.
  • A number of different kinds of foot problems can occur in people with diabetes. These include bunions, corns, calluses, hammertoes, fungal infections, dryness of the skin, and ingrown toenails.
  • Treatment depends on the exact type of foot problem. Surgery may be required for some cases.
  • Gangrene (dry gangrene) is tissue death due to absence of blood circulation. It can be life-threatening if bacterial infection develops (wet gangrene).
  • Many diabetes-related foot problems can be prevented by good control of blood sugar levels combined with appropriate care of the feet.
Return to Diabetes and Foot Problems

Comment from: Sunil vasandani, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have got foot calluses over one year now and it is taking a long time to heal, I started taking bed rest and also antibiotics. Now it has finally started to heal faster.

Comment from: paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I got a piece of nail like tool in my feet and that has caused me to have a surgery cutting my big toe off and a portion of the bottom of my feet. It is not healing well, then my other foot got infected real bad; I can hardly walk now.