Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

What are the symptoms of mono?

The initial symptoms of mono are

• a general lack of energy or malaise,
  • fatigue,
  • a loss of appetite,
  • chills.

These initial symptoms can last from one to three days before the more intense symptoms of the illness begin. The more common intense symptoms include

• a severe sore throat,
  • fever, which may be persistent,
  • swollen lymph nodes (glands) in the neck area.

It is typically the severe sore throat that prompts people to contact their doctor.

Return to Infectious Mononucleosis

Comment from: pinktwin147, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I slept away the whole of July 2013 with what I later learned to be mononucleosis. The symptoms must have begun earlier but since I have a sleep disorder I didn't notice anything wrong until July. I literally slept the whole month away. I woke to eat a little and bathroom breaks. By the 7th of August I was disgusted but feeling better and went to visit family in the States. To date no one has suffered from my visit. At 66 I was totally surprised to get this virus. I had no other symptoms but the fatigue.

Comment from: Shabbypainter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had mononucleosis when I was 14, now I am 58. I was very ill, had to sleep with the windows blacked out, no lights in the room. My head ache was so bad I could hear a pin drop, it would hurt. I slept for days. I was at home not in the hospital; in my day they didn"t do that, they just sent you home. But it did hurt me in the long run, it had caused neurology problems the rest of my life. I have seizures.