Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious

Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?

Please select the black square:

Is an upper respiratory infection contagious?

A majority of upper respiratory infections are due to self-limited viral infections. Occasionally, bacterial infections may cause upper respiratory infections. Most often, upper respiratory infection is contagious and can spread from person to person by inhaling respiratory droplets from coughing or sneezing. The transmission can also occur by touching the nose or mouth by hand or other object exposed to the virus.

Return to Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Comment from: Polly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

It is highly contagious, everyone in my family is sick. We just keep passing it around it seems. I can't get rid of it, does anyone have any help?

Comment from: RandomGuy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I went to the doctor after feeling weak, coughing, felt pressure all around my head, runny and stuffed up nose. He told me I have an upper respiratory infection and prescribed me some medicine. He also told me it was very contagious and I shouldn't go back to work until the medicine really started to take effect, about a day.