Food Poisoning - Treatment

What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for food poisoning?

Maintaining good hydration is the first priority when treating food poisoning. Hospitalization may be appropriate if the patient is dehydrated or if they have other underlying medical conditions that become unstable because of the fluid or electrolyte imbalance in their body.

Medications may be prescribed to help control nausea and vomiting.

Medications to decrease the frequency of diarrhea may be indicated but if food poisoning is suspected, it is best to consult with the health care practitioner before taking OTC medications such as loperamide (Imodium), because it may cause further problems for the patient.

Except for specific infections, antibiotics are not indicated in the treatment of most bacterial and viral food poisoning. Often, the health care practitioner will decide upon their use based on multiple factors such as the intensity of the disease symptoms, the additional health factors of the patient, sepsis, and organ system compromise. For example, a pregnant woman suspected of having listeriosis will likely be immediately treated with IV antibiotics because of the effect of the infection on the fetus.

Complications of certain types of food poisoning are best treated in consultation with infectious disease specialists (for example, HUS, TTP, bovine spongiform encephalopathy).

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: Tarantulady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had Tigan (trimethobenzamide) injection, followed by 300mg oral. It stopped the vomiting instantly, but man, does your butt (injection site) hurt! I don't drive if I take the Tigan because I am high. Once vomiting has ended, remember to drink tons of water or you could get stuck with an IV.

Comment from: Javier, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I woke up feeling warm but not sick. I was having breakfast and tried to pick up a piece of bread from the carpet and I felt dizzy and chills begun immediately. After that, my body was cold and I couldn"t warm up. I started vomiting violently all morning with very strong dizziness right before vomiting, almost as when you"re drunk, really bad. No fever until late at night and it was very mild, no diarrhea though. All that I can think of is a piece of fish I had for dinner the night before that I don"t think was cooked properly.