Dizziness - Causes

What caused your dizziness?

What are some common causes of dizziness?

While classifying dizziness into lightheadedness and vertigo categories may help understand how the body works, sometimes it is worthwhile to review common reasons why people might complain of dizziness.

Return to Dizziness

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been struggling with dizziness for over a year. It all started when I got a blast of hot water in my right ear at a hotel hot tub. The 1st week was vertigo at night, then dizziness during the day. The vertigo has gone but I'm left with dizziness 24/7. I have had all the tests done, nothing has helped. I recently took a transatlantic flight, and the problem has significantly worsened. I think the pressure inside the aircraft did me in. This is an unbearable way to live.

Comment from: ninkinindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I wish I knew what caused my dizziness! I know some of the things that make it worse. The worst thing is bending over and straightening back up. Sitting up doesn"t seem to bring it on. Moderate exercise made it worse today. So did being the in whirlpool for 20 minutes, but otherwise that felt so good! My balance isn"t good to start with, I"ve used a cane for several years now; but this dizziness makes it imperative whenever I walk, even very short distances like from one side of a small room to the other. But those are symptoms, not the cause.