Root Canal - Recovery

How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?

What kind of problems or complications may occur after getting a root canal?

Since a tooth that has had a root canal has been hollowed out to a certain degree, it is more prone to fracture. Getting a crown placed on the tooth will almost completely prevent this, but it can still happen. Sometimes there may have been an undetected crack at the time the root canal was performed, and the tooth may need to be extracted even though the tooth was treated with a perfect root canal.

In excessively curved roots, a file could break off inside the canal. Sometimes these files can be retrieved, but many times they cannot. If this happens, the tooth will be filled to the level of the file and monitored closely. If it was thoroughly cleaned before the file broke, the tooth may be unaffected. If not, it may need a surgical procedure to finish the root canal treatment.

Sometimes, if the pulp canal is difficult to find due to narrowing or calcification, the tooth may become perforated while attempting to locate the canal. The tooth is perforated when the dental drill starts from the inside of the tooth and communicates a hole through to the outside of the tooth instead of remaining centered. Many perforations can be repaired, but if severe, may cause the tooth to have to be extracted.

A root canal can become reinfected if the restoration has leaked, the patient doesn't have good oral hygiene, or because the sealing materials have degraded or broken down over time. Sometimes there may be more than the normal number of root canals in a tooth and the treating dentist may have missed the extra canal. This canal will still have infected tissue in it and will need to be cleaned out and filled. If a root canal has become reinfected, it can usually be retreated with another root canal. In this procedure, the endodontist will simply remove the gutta percha and sealing material through the opening in the tooth, clean out the canals and any additional canals, and seal them back up again. A retreatment is likely to be done in two visits. Sometimes a retreatment isn't possible and a tooth will require a surgical procedure to be saved. In this case, an endodontist may perform an apicoectomy, which involves accessing the root of the tooth through an incision made in the gums and bone. The tip of the root may be cut off and the area is cleaned and sealed from the end of the root.

Another condition that can occur after a root canal is discoloration of the tooth. Sometimes, this will even happen when the nerve in the tooth dies and can be the first sign indicating that a root canal is necessary. The tooth typically will become dark yellow, brown, or gray -- much more than surrounding teeth. If this color is an esthetic concern to the patient, especially if it is a front tooth, it can be treated with internally bleaching that specific tooth in a dental office or covering the tooth with a veneer or crown.

There have been claims that leaving a tooth treated with a root canal inside the mouth causes a variety of health problems, including cancer. These claims are based on an assumption that root canal treatment can never fully get rid of the infected tissue and tooth structure and that keeping infected tissue inside the mouth induces a response by the body that leads to health problems. Such claims are not based on sound scientific evidence and rely on coincidence and correlation for substantiation. Often, such claims are used to promote expensive alternatives to traditional dental treatments that result in profit for those making the claims. There is more evidence to refute such claims than to support them. People who believe they may need a root canal should seek out a competent licensed dentist whom they can trust to diagnose disease and deliver evidence-based dental treatment, including root canal treatment when needed.

Return to Root Canal

Comment from: Ezster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

My recovery from my molar tooth root canal so far was successful. My specialist drilled a hole into my bad, old root canal and dug out the infection. He injected medication to treat the large infection and help restore the bone loss from the bacteria eating away over the years. Then, he filled the hole with a temporary filling. If things keep going well in the next three weeks, all I need is just the permanent crown and all will be good for a decade or two. I am in pain, my right ear hurts, and my tooth that was operated on. I was denied my prescribed Norco medication by many pharmacists. I have to resort to taking three 200 mg ibuprofen and two 500 mg extra strength Tylenol, as suggested by my dentist, I'm guessing for the possibility of not getting my Norco medication for the few days of pain. I guess, I can tough out the pain, since it is not extreme pain. The recovery overall, is going well. I am glad things are going well. Three weeks from recovery I will return to get my crown fitted in properly.

Comment from: Bitten and swollen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was bit by a brown recluse spider in between my little toe and next. I could barely see it but it became white the next day. I was in pain but not sick to my stomach. We went to an urgent care two days later and the doctor gave me a light antibiotic. We then went on vacation for 3 days to South Padre island. My foot swelled up like a football. I was putting heat on it and that is a mistake. Always put ice around the swollen area. My foot looked like a soft ball mitt and the color around my toes was a dark red going to purple. I went to a hospital and they admitted me right away. They gave me a powerful antibiotic shot then a tetanus shot, then observed me in the emergency room for 3 hours. I am now on powerful antibiotics and Benadryl cream. And I take diphenhydramine during the day and night. You must do these things until the bite site heals, or it is surgery.