Pleurisy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of pleurisy?

Symptoms of pleurisy include:

• pain in the chest that is aggravated by breathing,
  • shortness of breath, and/or
  • a "stabbing" sensation.

The most common symptom of pleurisy is pain that is generally aggravated by inspiration (breathing in). Although the lungs themselves do not contain any pain nerves, the pleura contains abundant nerve endings. When extra fluid accumulates in the space between the layers of pleura, the pain usually is a less severe form of pleurisy. With very large amounts of fluid accumulation, the expansion of the lungs can be limited, and shortness of breath can worsen.

Return to Pleurisy (Pleuritis)

Comment from: country1paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I was told by a physician 19 years ago that I have pleurisy. He told me to take an anti-inflammatory when it flares up. So that it what I do. Thing is that, now when it flares up it is much more painful. Aleve is the only thing that helps the pain. Unless I go to the doctor and get prescription naproxen. It is painful. It is in my back on the left side. It's scary. I took Aleve today. If it doesn't get better I will go to the emergency room (ER). It does not hurt in the front, just in my back. It is very painful with any movement. If I move I cry.

Comment from: Daisygirlnc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had blinding pain that literally left me moaning out load. I had the flu which got progressively worse and developed into pleurisy.