Creatinine Blood Test - Normal Levels

Were your creatinine blood test results higher than normal levels? If so, what was the diagnosis and what action was taken to lower the creatinine levels?

What are "normal" blood creatinine levels?

Normal levels of creatinine in the blood are approximately 0.6 to 1.2 milligrams (mg) per deciliter (dL) in adult males and 0.5 to 1.1 milligrams per deciliter in adult females. (In the metric system, a milligram is a unit of weight equal to one-thousandth of a gram, and a deciliter is a unit of volume equal to one-tenth of a liter.)

Muscular young or middle-aged adults may have more creatinine in their blood than the norm for the general population. Elderly persons, on the other hand, may have less creatinine in their blood than the norm. Infants have normal levels of about 0.2 or more, depending on their muscle development. In people with malnutrition, severe weight loss, and long standing illnesses, the muscle mass tends to diminish over time and, therefore, their creatinine level may be lower than expected for their age.

A person with only one kidney may have a normal level of about 1.8 or 1.9. Creatinine levels that reach 2.0 or more in babies and 10.0 or more in adults may indicate severe kidney impairment and the need for a dialysis machine to remove wastes from the blood.

Return to Creatinine Blood Test

Comment from: angelmamma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

About a year and a half ago I had kidney failure. My symptoms were overwhelming tiredness, throwing up for six months, my hair started falling out, and I had trouble walking. At the time I was unaware of the kidney problem. One day while at work my foot began to hurt, as the day went on, it got worse and worse. By lunch time I had to leave work, it hurt so badly. I went straight to the doctor's office. The doctor diagnosed it as gout. I had never had this before. Then she said I need to see a kidney doctor as I was in kidney failure. Within the next few days I went to the kidney doctor. After the examination he said I had lost 25% of my kidney usage and I never would get that back. While having this discussion, we discovered that Aleve is what had caused my problem. Taken over a long period of time this can happen. I was not aware of that, but now I am. I believe my gout came from the kidney problems. I take Uloric every day. I had gout 12 times in a two month period. Until I started taking the Uloric, I got no relief. As my kidneys got better and the Uloric kicked in I stopped having gout. Last time I was at the kidney doctor's office, my creatine went up a little more.

Comment from: Tomdor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My mother"s creatinine levels were 3.7, up from 3.0 last year. The doctor said she has kidney failure and probably will only live for 3 to 6 months. She is not a candidate for dialysis.