Creatinine Blood Test - Normal Levels

Were your creatinine blood test results higher than normal levels? If so, what was the diagnosis and what action was taken to lower the creatinine levels?

Please select the white circle:

What are the reasons for elevated blood creatinine?

Any condition that impairs the function of the kidneys is likely to raise the creatinine level in the blood. It is important to recognize whether the process leading to kidney dysfunction (kidney failure, azotemia) is longstanding or recent. Recent elevations may be more easily treated and reversed.

The most common causes of longstanding (chronic) kidney disease in adults are high blood pressure and diabetes. Certain drugs (for example, cimetidine [Bactrim]) can sometimes cause abnormally elevated creatinine levels. Serum creatinine can also transiently increase after ingestion of a large amount of dietary meat; thus, nutrition can sometimes play a role in creatinine measurement. Kidney infections, rhabdomyolysis (abnormal muscle breakdown) and urinary tract obstruction may also elevate creatinine levels.

Return to Creatinine Blood Test

Comment from: mary t., Published: June 03

My legs feel fine when sitting or lying down. However, when I stand or walk I get a terrible sort of muscular type pain in my thighs. It used to be only in my left thigh, but it is now also in my right thigh. My medications (Tylenol, Aleve, Advil, Excedrin, etc.) help. I am now going to try some herbals. I have been to a series of doctors, none seem to know the cause. At this point, I am having extreme difficulty walking. Very frustrating!

Comment from: adely, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I fainted couple of days ago for the second time. First time happened two years ago. I have a spine injury and suffer from severe migraine headaches. The doctor did ECG and brain scan but could not find any obvious reasons. I had migraine symptoms at the time and got up to take sumatriptan. Next moment I found myself on floor. I am very worried it could happen again whilst driving or something. I have sound in my ears like water moving and pain on the right side of neck.