Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Please select the white circle:

What are causes of sciatica?

While sciatica is most commonly a result of a lumbar disc herniation directly pressing on the nerve, any cause of irritation or inflammation of the sciatic nerve can reproduce the symptoms of sciatica. This irritation of nerves as a result of an abnormal intervertebral disc is referred to as radiculopathy. Aside from a pinched nerve from a disc, other causes of sciatica include irritation of the nerve from adjacent bone, tumors, muscle, internal bleeding, infections, injury, and other causes. Sometimes sciatica can occur because of irritation of the sciatic nerve during pregnancy.

Picture of a herniated disc, a common cause of sciatica

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: ANGELA C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have severe pain in my hip and left leg, this pain is unbearable. I can't sleep or get out of bed half the time. I'm on a pain medicine that my doctor gave me and sometimes it helps but most of the time I'm in bed with sharp pains shooting down my left leg to my foot. I also have back problems, herniated bulging disc, degenerative disc disease and more problems with my back. I can't get any relief from this pain, I tried ice and heat and ibuprofen 800mg, and pain medications but nothing seems to help, this is the worst pain, and won't go away.

Comment from: christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I clearly have never felt any pain like this in my life, it's worse than labor pain. I try to stay focus and stay on my feet. I don't want to feel totally helpless although this pain took me out of work for two weeks. I went back to work only for a week and a half to have to take off again because the pain in my foot is so bad I feel like my foot wants to explode. It's a little better with the percocet but I don't want to be taking drugs that will cause other health issues. GOD is still in the healing business and I know this is only for the moment things will get better. This is some serious pain don't wish it on anyone. Treatment is allowing your body to fight back and gain control that's what I plan because anything is possible with GOD. May GOD bless anyone who is suffering from this excruciating pain GOD Bless. Christine NY

Stay Informed!