Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Please select the black square:

What are causes of sciatica?

While sciatica is most commonly a result of a lumbar disc herniation directly pressing on the nerve, any cause of irritation or inflammation of the sciatic nerve can reproduce the symptoms of sciatica. This irritation of nerves as a result of an abnormal intervertebral disc is referred to as radiculopathy. Aside from a pinched nerve from a disc, other causes of sciatica include irritation of the nerve from adjacent bone, tumors, muscle, internal bleeding, infections, injury, and other causes. Sometimes sciatica can occur because of irritation of the sciatic nerve during pregnancy.

Picture of a herniated disc, a common cause of sciatica

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: tony, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had shoulder replaced in 2013, hip replaced in 2013, knee replaced in 2015 and have x-rayed all several times. All ok, doctor wants an MRI or CAT scan to see if my sciatic nerve or other problem exists.

Comment from: Blue Ocean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had been bending straight over to bathe two cats and thoroughly cleaning the house because of fleas I found on the cats. The next day I walked quite a distance at a fast pace to go to the hospital to visit my dad. On the 3rd day, I found I had pulled my hamstring; the back of both legs hurt quite when bending to sit.