Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are spondylolisthesis symptoms?

The most common symptom of spondylolisthesis is lower back pain. This is often worse after exercise especially with extension of the lumbar spine. Other symptoms include tightness of the hamstrings and decreased range of motion of the lower back. Some patients can develop pain, numbness, tingling or weakness in the legs due to nerve compression. Severe compression of the nerves can cause loss of control of bowel or bladder function, or cauda equina syndrome.

Return to Spondylolisthesis

Comment from: tuna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was just diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. I'm reduced from 8 to 5 hours at work. I tell you, by the time my shift is over I can't walk and I stand on concrete floors. Doctor prescribed gabapentin for relief and it helps a bit but now he wants me to use a back brace and do physiotherapy. I also get the numbness in my right thigh; it's not fun.

Comment from: Daynerw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had 2 spinal fusions for spondylolisthesis, in 1982 and 1984. Bone marrow was taken from both hips to fuse L3, L4, L5, and S1. Now after 30 years, I have developed intense pain throughout my lower back, hips, thighs, and left foot. MRI shows arthritis throughout the fused area, and my hips. Degeneration has occurred in the upper lumbar region due to the immobility from the fusions. At night, the pain and dead weight from sleeping on my hips wakes me, is so intense I cry out. I am stiff and can't roll over. The cold weather kills too. I've gone through physical therapy, etc. Dead end! I am now applying for disability.