Hypothyroidism - Diet

How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?

What is hypothyroidism?

Hypothyroidism is a condition characterized by abnormally low thyroid hormone production. There are many disorders that result in hypothyroidism. These disorders may directly or indirectly involve the thyroid gland. Because thyroid hormone affects growth, development, and many cellular processes, inadequate thyroid hormone has widespread consequences for the body.

This article will focus specifically on hypothyroidism in adults.

Return to Hypothyroidism

Comment from: Thyroidmadism, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have been dealing with a dysfunctional thyroid since I was pregnant with my 3rd child back in 1997. I had what was called Graves' disease (over active thyroid) and the grave is where I felt I was heading with my symptoms. It took the doctor two years to figure out what was wrong with me, by that time my cholesterol was high, my blood pressure was high, and I had trouble breathing. When I was finally diagnosed I was sent for the radiation iodine treatment, but it did not do much the first time so I was sent again, and then there was overkill, I then had hypothyroidism. So, since then my thyroid has been difficult to regulate but it is not all of the medication's responsibility to do so. I was told to eat lots of greens, lots of water, exercise to keep all the bad at lower levels, less pastas, the carbohydrates in foods practically just store in your body. Soda, especially the darker sodas are a very big no-no! Lower your food intake and replace it with fruits and vegetables. The one cool thing to own is 'Bullet' or even a regular blender to make vegetable or fruit smoothies. Or if you don't have the time to spare, then the V-8 vegetable drinks also help. Your body needs iodine but I suggest getting an iodine supplement instead of relying on enough being in what you eat.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have a pacemaker/defibrillator and received a call from pacemaker clinic saying my pacemaker battery was showing low and needed to be changed. I was feeling bad, no energy, just beat and thought the low battery was causing the problem, no. They needed to change the entire pacemaker and just minutes before the cut was made the nurse said I was in atrial fibrillation for a month and out I went. They changed my pacemaker and home I went with a prescription for Pradaxa and didn't improve. May 2015 I was told that cardioversion was not a sure thing and it could cause more problems if they try it and I should just learn to live with my problem and take Pradaxa. I went to see a new cardiologist and he told me to change my Lipitor to Crestor and stop taking Pradaxa and start taking Eliquis. A short time after changing my drugs was I feeling good, not a lot more energy but felt good. About 3 months later I moved and changed my cardiologist who asked me why we don't try a cardioversion and he booked me in. Simple procedure, just shock your heart to see if it works. It worked and I feel like I never had a heart attack, and a lot more energy. If you fit the criteria give it a try. I was told after my original heart attack I had 28 percent heart function. Lower section of heart was damaged. Stop drinking water, drink just enough and that's it. The water hurts you and you don't realize it until you start gaining weight.