Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.

Please select the black triangle:

What is schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe, debilitating mental illness that affects about 1% of the population, corresponding to more than 2 million people in the United States alone. Other statistics about schizophrenia include that it affects men about one and a half times more commonly than women. It is one of the psychotic mental disorders and is characterized by symptoms of thought, behavior, and social problems. The thought problems associated with schizophrenia are described as psychosis, in that the person's thinking is completely out of touch with reality at times. For example, the sufferer may hear voices or see people that are in no way present or feel like bugs are crawling on their skin when there are none. The individual with this disorder may also have disorganized speech, disorganized behavior, physically rigid or lax behavior (catatonia), significantly decreased behaviors or feelings, as well as delusions, which are ideas about themselves or others that have no basis in reality (for example, the individual might experience paranoia, in that he or she thinks others are plotting against them when they are not).

Return to Schizophrenia

Comment from: JBL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Since 2000, I have not been able to keep a job. I abandon them. I don"t care about my hygiene, body or dental, I don"t take care of any of my stuff. I lost my longest relationship of 9 plus years (off and on) because I would lie about employment and just generally lie about anything. I"ve been homeless several times. I end up living with my parents, where I am now. I"ve stolen things and money from family members. When caught with the item I"d still lie! I have few friends and have very little socialization with my family. I drink and smoke pot when I have money. I have no appetite and my weight is around 124lbs. The last time I saw a doctor he asked if I was a drug addict! I went with an earache, which he didn"t treat me for. I didn"t ask for drugs except maybe an antibiotic if I needed it! I never eat with family. I wait till they"ve all gone to bed and then I eat left-overs, etc. My mom has offered to get me mental therapy but I don"t think I need it. But since I"ve abandoned another job... I"m told to either seek mental help or move out! They"ve had enough of my behavior and are frustrated/worried about me. I know they love me but I don"t know why I do/act like I do.

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Can any schizophrenic patient feels that some transparent opposite sex being is attached to her/his body having sexual intercourse all the time? My sister has been facing this feeling for more than two years since the age of seventeen and during that whole period she never had a moment of relief. It is just constant and that feeling never seemed to leave her. Except for this feeling everything about her is normal.