Kidney Infection - Causes

What was the cause of your kidney infection?

What are the causes of kidney infection?

Urine, similar to other fluids in the body, is normally sterile without any bacterial infection. Therefore, the presence of bacteria in the urine is considered abnormal and may lead to urinary tract infection. Typically, bacteria gain access to the urinary system from outside through the urethra (the drainage tube for urine from the bladder). The bacteria may then ascend in the urinary system and cause kidney infections. Kidney infection (upper UTI) is typically more severe than lower UTI because bacteria may also infect the bloodstream (bacteremia) from the kidneys resulting in a more severe illness.

Bacteria may travel from the rectum or the vagina towards the urethra to gain entry into the urinary system. Other bacteria may enter from the skin. Women are more susceptible to urinary tract infections due to the shorter length of their urethras in comparison to those of men.

Return to Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)

Comment from: clara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My kidney infection was caused by my blood sugar. The pains have been there for like 4 years now. It was recently that I discovered that, this was why I have been having this lower abdominal pains for years.

Comment from: mary, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was just diagnosed with myeloma very recently. I am still getting to grips with the news. It was a shock to me as I had never heard of it before. At present I am trying to get more information regarding the subject. This is for me to understand hopefully to deal with the illness. My problems at present is headaches, and burning sensation in my lumbar area and sometimes even have prickly heat on the upper back. This problems does not stop me from going out or doing things. I do wear a belt for my back ache if I have pain in that area. I have had back problems since nursing days, as I was a nurse in the past. I really do not know how it will progress. Time will tell.