Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of restless leg syndrome?

Many different symptoms are described by people with restless leg syndrome, for example:

• leg pain,
  • cramps,
  • tingling,
  • itchy,
  • burning, and
  • aching.

The characteristic nighttime worsening of symptoms in persons with restless legs syndrome frequency leads to insomnia. Because of lack of sleep, children and some adults may be very drowsy, irritable, and aggressive during daytime hours.

Restless leg syndrome usually begins slowly. Over time, the legs become more affected. Less frequently, restless leg syndrome can affect the arms.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

As a child I had 'growing pains' and my mother used to rub my legs to ease the pain during the night. I first had what I called 'jumpy legs' during my first pregnancy. I had no idea what this was. I have had this condition since I was 21 and it can occur at any time. Mainly when I am sitting, at a show or movies, and at night. It drives me crazy. Only recently it has been discovered as restless legs syndrome (RLS) and after thinking I was going mad I am relieved that this is actually something that a lot of people suffer from. My doctor has prescribed Xanax which can help but do not want to use this as it is addictive. My mother had it, my daughter and now my granddaughters! I find a warm shower helps, especially through the night - sometimes I have three showers! I was prescribed OxyContin when I had a hip repair, and it helped with my RLS. Of course the doctor is reluctant to prescribe this narcotic. It feels as if my legs have a mind of their own and twitch, jump etc. Just recently when it is bad I have had it in my arms as well. I believe that it is a condition that appears to fall down the female line in families. I don't want to experiment with many drugs. I find doing something that interests you will take your mind off it, i.e. sewing or knitting (as I did when I was pregnant). I think it is a terrible condition. I will only fly business or first on long flights, as it is dreadful when flying or when you are stuck in one place for long periods of time.

Comment from: Bektreks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) from childhood and so has my mother. She suggested I stand on a cold floor, and move around for a few minutes. But this only helps on the very mild nights. The only thing I have found to work is Tiger Balm. I rub a large amount from my knees to my toes and it relieves my legs within minutes. I would never be without it or a similar product which produces such a deep heat.