Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

For what conditions are cortisone injections used?

Cortisone injections can be used to treat the inflammation of small areas of the body (local injections), or they can be used to treat inflammation that is widespread throughout the body (systemic injections). Examples of conditions for which local cortisone injections are used include inflammation of a bursa (bursitis of the hip, knee, elbow, or shoulder), a tendon (tendinitis such as tennis elbow), and a joint (arthritis). Knee osteoarthritis, hip bursitis, painful foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis, rotator cuff tendinitis, and many other conditions may be treated with cortisone injections. Injections of cortisone and an anesthetic such as lidocaine are sometimes used to confirm a diagnosis. For example, if pain in the buttock and groin improves after a cortisone injection in the hip, the pain is caused by hip arthritis rather than arthritis in the low back. Epidural injections in the lumbar spine (lumbar epidural) are cortisone injections inserted into a specific location in the spinal canal of the low back by a specialist under X-ray guidance (fluoroscopy). These injections may help relieve back pain or sciatica. Systemic corticosteroid injections are used for more widespread conditions affecting many joints or the skin, such as allergic reactions, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: DwightNC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I received my 1st cortisone injection yesterday, in my left knee for pain and inflammation/swelling due to a torn meniscus. The injection was really painful, and I could barely walk on it for about 2 hours after. The pain continued for most of the day! One big side effect that I experienced was insomnia. I didn"t sleep at all, I also experienced some sweating as well! I can tell that it is helping today, I have more mobility in the knee, as the pain has gotten better. We"ll see how it goes!

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a cortisone shot this morning in my knee after the doctor drained the fluid from my swollen kneecap. Origin unknown for the sudden onset of swelling and pain. I felt almost immediate relief, but I am urinating like crazy.