Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

For what conditions are cortisone injections used?

Cortisone injections can be used to treat the inflammation of small areas of the body (local injections), or they can be used to treat inflammation that is widespread throughout the body (systemic injections). Examples of conditions for which local cortisone injections are used include inflammation of a bursa (bursitis of the hip, knee, elbow, or shoulder), a tendon (tendinitis such as tennis elbow), and a joint (arthritis). Knee osteoarthritis, hip bursitis, painful foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis, rotator cuff tendinitis, and many other conditions may be treated with cortisone injections. Injections of cortisone and an anesthetic such as lidocaine are sometimes used to confirm a diagnosis. For example, if pain in the buttock and groin improves after a cortisone injection in the hip, the pain is caused by hip arthritis rather than arthritis in the low back.

Epidural injections in the lumbar spine (lumbar epidural) are cortisone injections inserted into a specific location in the spinal canal of the low back by a specialist under X-ray guidance (fluoroscopy). These injections may help relieve back pain and sciatica. Epidural injections can also be given in other areas of the spinal canal to relieve upper back and neck pain.

Corticosteroid injections given in the shoulder may cure localized soft tissue inflammation in the shoulder such as bursitis or tendinitis. Cortisone injections of the shoulder may be used in conjunction with physical therapy to treat rotator cuff syndrome.

Systemic corticosteroid injections are used for more widespread conditions affecting many joints or the skin, such as allergic reactions, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis. These injections are usually given intramuscularly, into a large muscle group such as the gluteus muscles in the buttocks, or into the deltoid muscle in the shoulder. The corticosteroid is then absorbed into the blood and travels through the bloodstream to treat the inflammation. Systemic corticosteroids can also be administered intravenously to treat more severe widespread inflammation.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: Marqueso, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I received a cortisone injection in each knee in early February. There must have been anesthetic in the shot because I had immediate, total relief which wore off in a day or so. Then I felt no improvement for almost 2 weeks. I had given up hope, but realized one day I was walking stairs with no pain! The inflammation I had had in the right knee, which prevented me from even getting into child's pose in yoga, was gone. From late February through all of March I was blissfully pain-free, doing every activity without symptoms. During April, little by little I started feeling that familiar ache again; now at the end of May it is as though I never had the shots at all. I will definitely get more; I have read 3 times a year is usually the maximum amount. If I can get two pain-free months each time, that equates to half of each year without pain! Thumbs up from me.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a left hip cortisone injection two days ago. The procedure was unpleasant, but I have had wonderful relief. I have no pain now, and I didn't realize how I was so limited. I hope this lasts! Cautiously optimistic but don't want to jinx it!