Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

For what conditions are cortisone injections used?

Cortisone injections can be used to treat the inflammation of small areas of the body (local injections), or they can be used to treat inflammation that is widespread throughout the body (systemic injections). Examples of conditions for which local cortisone injections are used include inflammation of a bursa (bursitis of the hip, knee, elbow, or shoulder), a tendon (tendinitis such as tennis elbow), and a joint (arthritis). Knee osteoarthritis, hip bursitis, painful foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis, rotator cuff tendinitis, and many other conditions may be treated with cortisone injections. Injections of cortisone and an anesthetic such as lidocaine are sometimes used to confirm a diagnosis. For example, if pain in the buttock and groin improves after a cortisone injection in the hip, the pain is caused by hip arthritis rather than arthritis in the low back. Epidural injections in the lumbar spine (lumbar epidural) are cortisone injections inserted into a specific location in the spinal canal of the low back by a specialist under X-ray guidance (fluoroscopy). These injections may help relieve back pain or sciatica. Systemic corticosteroid injections are used for more widespread conditions affecting many joints or the skin, such as allergic reactions, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had a cortisone shot in my knee 2 days ago. Cortisone has helped greatly with osteoarthritis in my hip and knee, also an Achilles tendon issue from years ago that caused pain and limping which cortisone seems to have cured. I have not had another shot in my hip as the pain never returned. I experienced some pain during this injection but it"s worth it as the swelling goes down and pain leaves my knee soon. I did have some pain and swelling at the injection sight for 24 hours, requiring some ice and rest. My mouth and throat were also very dry the first night. No other side effects noted.

Comment from: snapper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been going to a bone and joint clinic since 2009 to have cortisone injections done on my right knee (osteoarthritis). I am not a diabetic, I would have the injections twice a year, never a problem, and done extremely well with these shots. I had received my injection for my right knee in January, 2014, but in February, 2014 my left knee popped and the pain became unbearable. I went to the bone and joint clinic and was given an injection in my left knee, which I have never had any problems with until then. After receiving the shot in left knee everything was fine, until an hour and half later when the pain in my left knee became so unbearable that I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I was given pain medication and sent home, pain never eased up. The next day I was taken back to the hospital, given different mediations and sent home. I went to my primary doctor the next day and was given additional pain medications. I went back to the hospital that night and was given an ultra sound on left leg to make sure there was no blood clots, and x-rays. I was taken off from work for three weeks due to severe pain. I have gone to a neurologist and was diagnosed with left lower extremity weakness and was told there was nothing that he could do for me. I am now being sent to surgeon. I still suffer with numbness underneath my left foot, with burning, throbbing, with bubble feeling under my foot and I suffer with frozen feeling toes at all times; I still have chronic pain in my foot.

Stay Informed!