Ca 125 - Results

Share your experience with your CA 125 test results.

How is CA 125 measured?

CA 125 is usually measured from a blood sample. It can also be measured in fluid from the chest or abdominal cavity. The tests currently in use are all based upon the use of an antibody that is directed against the CA 125 protein (monoclonal antibody technique).

In 1996, an improved version of the test was introduced and is sometimes denoted as CA 125 - II. The numerical figure of the second generation test results may be higher or lower than a first generation test. When comparing multiple test results over time, it can be important to know which method was used.

Return to CA 125

Comment from: Sam, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

CA 125 levels can vary in each and every one of us. Some people can have a reading of 200 and be fine with no given signs of cancer. This can be due to the fact that lots of other medical conditions can increase the levels within our body. My mum had her levels measured at over 3,000 when she was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer, they have since been as low as 65 and again as high as 2,800. Her oncologist has never based progress or success of treatment solely on this marker.

Comment from: Mieke, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a mastectomy just over 6 years ago. Recently my CA125 moved up to 95. I had a hysterectomy 30 years ago and still had my ovaries. They were removed and were clean. I had another blood test done today and hope to have the result tomorrow. I hope that the result will be normal.