Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?

What is the prognosis for patients with Sjgren's syndrome?

With proper attention to eye and oral care the outlook for patients with Sjgren's syndrome is generally excellent. Eye dryness can lead to serious injury to the eye, particularly the cornea, and this should be avoided by consultation with an eye specialist. Mouth dryness can lead to dental decay and parotid gland infection and parotid stones. Optimal oral hygiene is essential.

The serious complications of primary biliary cirrhosis and lymphoma can dramatically affect prognosis and are monitored for in routine regular office visits.

Return to Sjogren's Syndrome

Comment from: Jorika, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

In 1990, at 27 years of age I was diagnosed with lupus and secondary Sjogren's after tears totally dried up, contracted keratitis and later keratoconus. In 1995, eye problems continue, as well as 1st signs of dry mouth symptoms and also serious vasculitis. Diagnosis was changed to primary Sjogren's. In 1997 M-band was detected in my urine (Bence Jones protein test) and I was referred to oncologist for bone marrow biopsy. I was diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS). In 2003 I had pneumonia, lung infections and pulmonary embolism. After lung biopsy subsequently diagnosed with multiple myeloma (IGg 2A). In 2004 January they started chemotherapy as preparation for successful autologous stem cell transplant in June. High-dose chemotherapy resulted in cataracts on dry eyes. In 2005 lens implants were needed in both eyes. In 2011 I had retinal detachment in right eye. Most vision was saved after six operations. In 2013 I had partial detachment in left eye. In 2014 I am celebrating 10 years after cancer transplant and am still in remission.

Comment from: kh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 52 years old. I have just recently been diagnosed with Sjogrens'. I most noticed the painful joints after inactivity. Sometimes I can hardly walk. I have some dry eye problems but not the mouth. I did have some shortness of breath while lying down. Walking daily and rest seem to help me.