Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the prognosis for patients with Sjgren's syndrome?

With proper attention to eye and oral care the outlook for patients with Sjgren's syndrome is generally excellent. Eye dryness can lead to serious injury to the eye, particularly the cornea, and this should be avoided by consultation with an eye specialist. Mouth dryness can lead to dental decay and parotid gland infection and parotid stones. Optimal oral hygiene is essential.

The serious complications of primary biliary cirrhosis and lymphoma can dramatically affect prognosis and are monitored for in routine regular office visits.

Return to Sjogren's Syndrome

Comment from: S.W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have no family history, diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome 15 years ago. Sixteen years ago I got married in April, ran a triathlon in August, got pregnant in October. I was in above average health/fitness. I got a severe stomach bug in December, 16 years ago and poof, my body just progressively went downhill, and I lost the ability to walk, sit or stand for longer than 15 minutes by that following February. And it's been like this for 15 years. Sjogren's, fibromyalgia and then lupus were the diagnosis. Once again - I've asked everyone in family over and over - there is none of the 58 plus autoimmune diseases in the family. Over the 15 years it's expanded - GERD, Hashimoto's, arthritis and others. My life turned upside down in 3 months after I got a severe stomach virus. And it's not improved. So I have to ask this hoping that researchers actually see this... when you research illnesses and attempt to develop treatment/medicines who or what do you get your information from? Because no one has ever asked me about my illness. And my 15 doctors spend our 20 minutes each... we are not able to discuss the entire illness so I truly hope you are not getting your information from them. Wishers to all that suffer with the illness.

Comment from: Lavender grace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I discovered I had a hiatal hernia, over a year ago. I've always had digestive problems and sometimes I would bloat up so much I couldn't breathe. I take acid reflux medicines and lots of Gas-X. Sometimes I feel like my heart is skipping beats because I'm so bloated! If I lift anything heavy, the next day my back and the side of my ribs hurt and I can hardly breathe. I'm a care giver and I think it's causing me a lot of stress. I feel so depressed.