Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your atrial fibrillation?

What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation?

The treatment of atrial fibrillation is multi-faceted and involves:

1. reversing the factors that cause atrial fibrillation;
  2. slowing the heart rate with medications;
  3. preventing strokes;
  4. converting atrial fibrillation to a normal heart rhythm with medications or electrical shock;
  5. preventing the recurrence of atrial fibrillation with medications; and
  6. using procedures (for example, pacemakers, defibrillators, surgery) to prevent episodes of atrial fibrillation.
Return to Atrial Fibrillation

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I developed atrial fibrillation in November of 2005. I had three ablations. It lasted about nine to 10 months for each. I was on amiodarone for almost three years, but the side effects were bad. I have been on Cardizem LA (300 mg) now. I am also on metoprolol (75 mg) and have no energy and no breath. I have been told my mitral valve is leaking, but I have not received the results of tests that were taken here in town or in Chicago. It is most frustrating because I cannot walk across the house without panting. My heart hurts, and I am really depressed.

Comment from: flutemon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I began having atrial fibrillation on and off in the late 1990s. The doctor prescribed atenolol which controlled it well. In 2010, the atrial fibrillation came back and I visited another cardiologist, where I was diagnosed with tricuspid valve issues. Leading up to valve repair surgery it was decided that it was a congenital defect linked to Ebstein's anomaly. While the valve was being worked on, I had the Maze Procedure. Other than having a somewhat faster heart rate (80-90s) the atrial fibrillation has been gone since surgery in early 2011.

Stay Informed!