Headache - Remedies

What is your best headache remedy?

How are tension headaches treated?

Tension headaches are painful, and patients may be upset that the diagnosis is "only" a tension headache. Even though it is not life-threatening, a tension headache can make daily activities more difficult to accomplish. Most people successfully treat themselves with over-thecounter (OTC) pain medications to control tension headaches. The following work well for most people:

• aspirin,
  • ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil),
  • acetaminophen (Tylenol, Panadol) and
  • naproxen (Aleve).

If these fail, other supportive treatments are available. Recurrent headaches should be a signal to seek medical help. Massage, biofeedback, and stress management can all be used as adjuncts to help with control of tension headaches.

It is important to remember that OTC medications, while safe, are medications and may have side effects and potential interactions with prescription medications. It always is wise to ask a health care professional or pharmacist if one has questions about OTC medications and their use. This is especially important with OTC pain medications, because they are used so frequently.

It is important to read the listing of ingredients in OTC pain medications. Often an OTC medication is a combination of ingredients, and the second or third listed ingredient may have the potential for drug interaction or contraindication based upon a patient's other medical issues For example:

• Some OTC medications include caffeine, which may trigger rapid heartbeats in some patients.
  • In night time preparations, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may be added. This may cause sedation, and driving or using heavy machinery may not be appropriate when taking a sedative medication.
  • Some OTC cold medications have pseudoephedrine mixed in with the pain medication. This drug can cause elevated blood pressure and palpitations.

Other examples where caution should be used include the following:

• Aspirin should not be used in children and teenagers because of the risk of Reye's Syndrome, a life threatening complication that may occur when a viral infection is present and aspirin is taken.
  • Aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen are anti-inflmmatory medications that can be irritating to the stomach and may cause intestinal bleeding. They should be used with caution in patients who have peptic ulcer disease.
  • Most anti-inflammatory medicines also cause the potential for bleeding elsewhere in the body and should not be taken by patients who also take blood thinners without discussing the risks and benefits with their health care professional. Blood thinners include warfarin (Coumadin), heparin (Lovenox), dabigatran (Pradaxa), apixaban (Eliquis), rivoroxaban (Xarelto), edoxaban (Savaysa), clopidogrel bisulfate (Plavix), ticagrelor (Brilinta), and prasugrel (Effient).
  • Overuse of aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen also may cause kidney damage.
  • Acetaminophen, if used in amounts greater than recommended, can cause liver damage or failure. It also should be used with caution in patients who drink significant amounts of alcohol or who have liver disease because even lesser doses than are normally recommended may be dangerous.
  • One cause of chronic tension headaches is overuse of medications for pain. When pain medications are used for a prolonged period of time, headaches may recur because the effects of the medication wear off. (This "rebound" headache is classified as a secondary headache.)
Return to Headache

Comment from: burns, 45-54 Female Published: February 12

The vertigo started when I would reach down to pick something up. I would almost fall on to the floor. Then it would happen when I would roll over at night. The entire room would spin. I thought at first it was my blood sugar or something else. Doctor visit diagnosed vertigo, and was given medication. It still happens every once in a while.

Comment from: eva, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I have had an ankle arthroscopy, I am a 64 year old woman. Surgery date was May 10th, 2016. At the same time I had right ankle scope, anterior crucial ligament, navicular excision, and posterior tibial repair. I'm ok now, my pain before this surgery was extraordinary, huge pain, same pain what I got after the surgery. After surgery I got morphine, but I declined after 2 days, and did not take any pain medication. Now I'm in rehabilitation center with cast on my right leg. After my right ankle recovery, I am going for same surgery for my left ankle, plus torn ligament repair. I am thankful to my doctor. With the second surgery also going well, I will be the happiest women in this world. I was suffering a lot from the pain before my surgery, I hope not anymore.