Rotator Cuff - Cause

Was the cause of your rotator cuff disease due to repetitive strains? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What causes rotator cuff disease?

Rotator cuff disease is damage to the rotator cuff from any cause. It can be from an acute injury or from repetitive strains. This condition is one of the most common causes of shoulder pain.

Return to Rotator Cuff Disease

Comment from: lugnut66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have worked as a server at a high volume restaurant for 2 years. I have to carry 10 to 20 lb. trays on my shoulder. I'm experiencing constant tingling in my left arm and gnawing ache in my shoulder (like a toothache). I believe the repetitive motion has caused my rotator cuff injury. No health insurance; not much I can do.

Comment from: 1montaftermedicare, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I tripped over the legs of a chair that was leaning against a wall. I fell sideways with my arm over my head. It popped out of the rotator cuff and I literally exploded with pain. I went to the hospital via ambulance. The emergency room physician reduced the dislocation (popped the bone back in place) and sent me home in a sling. Pain was worse than any I have ever experienced. Every time my arm was unsupported by the sling it would fall out of place, and more severe pain! It appeared that surgeons didn't know how to fix the problem. After six months I found a doctor who did a reverse shoulder replacement a week after my initial visit to see him. It has been over 2 years and although I have some use of my arm, the shoulder aches all the time, I have shooting pain up my neck into the top of my head and am not able to hold my arm up for the time it takes to fix my hair or put on makeup. The things that used to take me 10 minutes now take upwards, to an hour. Seat belts are a bear to fasten, groceries and lifting a suitcase are entirely impossible. I am grateful for the expertise of the doctor but do not feel that a reverse shoulder replacement is the way to go when your rotator cuff is severely damaged and impossible to fix. I would go with a biological replacement (cadaver parts).