Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for your subconjunctival hemorrhage?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for a subconjunctival hemorrhage?

Usually, no treatment is needed. Over-the-counter artificial tears can be applied to the eye if mild irritation is present. The eye does not require a patch.

The use of aspirin or other medication that inhibits clotting should be avoided. If you are taking aspirin or an anticoagulant for a medical condition, check with your physician to determine whether the medication should be stopped or continued. Do not stop anti-coagulation medicines without physician consultation. These medications are frequently life savers, and they rarely need to be discontinued for a subconjunctival hemmorhage.

If the subconjunctival hemorrhage is trauma-related, your ophthalmologist will determine what other treatment is necessary to promote healing of the injury.

If the subconjunctival hemorrhage is a result of an external infection, your ophthalmologist may prescribe antibiotic drops or an ointment.

This condition clears by itself within one to two weeks. Recovery is usually complete, without any long-term problems, similar to a mild bruise under the skin. Like a bruise, a subconjunctival hemorrhage changes colors (often red to orange to yellow) as it heals. A skin bruise changes to various shades of green, black, and blue as it heals, because the blood is being seen through skin. Because the conjunctiva is transparent, a subconjunctival hemorrhage never has these color characteristics.

Return to Subconjunctival Hemorrhage

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have been to see several doctors for subconjunctival hemorrhage and no treatment has been issued.

Comment from: Tinna CB, 55-64 Female Published: May 24

Thank you for this information. I just learned I have subconjunctival hemorrhage when my co-worker asked me what I did to my eye as it is blood red. Looking in the mirror, I was horrified to see it has a red patch over the white of my right eye. I feel only a mild irritation when I look to the left but the pharmacist said it's nothing to worry about. After reading this article and I am now doubly assured that it's not life threatening.