(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are other symptoms and signs of jet lag?

Besides fatigue and insomnia, a jet lag sufferer may experience a number of physical and emotional symptoms, including anxiety, constipation, diarrhea, confusion, dehydration, headache, irritability, nausea, indigestion, difficulty concentrating, sweating, coordination problems, dizziness, daytime sleepiness, malaise (a general feeling of being unwell), and even memory loss. Some individuals report additional symptoms, such as heartbeat irregularities and increased susceptibility to illness.

Children and babies can also suffer the same jet lag symptoms as adults.

Generally, people do not need a medical evaluation for a diagnosis of jet lag. If you have traveled across several time zones and feel the symptoms associated with jet lag, you likely have it. If your symptoms of jet lag are severe, do not go away after a few days, or you have any other concerns, see a doctor.

Return to Jet Lag

Comment from: alexandra, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I just returned to Australia from Los Angeles (USA) and I have diarrhea, loss of appetite and had a headache that afternoon of return. I wonder how long this jet lag lasts.

Comment from: sarah, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Traveled to Bora Bora in the French Polynesia from Chicago. The day I returned home (to Chicago) I had a headache, went to bed @ midnight, and didn't wake up until 2:45pm! Most likely because at 2:45 in Chicago, it's just 9:45am in the FP. My symptoms include mild sleepiness and loss of appetite. I didn't experience any jet lag at all when I arrived in the FP, so it must be losing so much time. Didn't take any meds for a headache or sleeping pills, just a LOT of water intake. Best of luck to anyone who also has jet lag!!

Comment from: CBroock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I travel to New Zealand frequently and have found that I am most affected by jetlag the next day. My symptoms include fatigue, nausea and stomach upset and just feeling out of sorts overall. I find if I drink lots of water and sports drinks, and go to bed at a reasonable hour, it helps ease those symptoms and I am usually fine for the duration of my trip.