Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
- Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory skin disease.
- Patients with psoriasis who are obese are predisposed to diabetes and heart disease.
- Psoriasis can be initiated by certain environmental triggers.
- A predisposition for psoriasis is inherited in genes.
- Psoriasis is not contagious.
- Psoriasis gets better and worse spontaneously and can have periodic remissions (clear skin).
- Psoriasis is controllable with medication.
- Psoriasis is currently not curable.
- There are many promising therapies, including newer biologic drugs.
- Future research for psoriasis is promising.