Definition of Palmar
Palmar: Pertaining to the palm (the grasping side) of the hand. The ancient Romans used the word "palma" for the outstretched palm of the hand.
By comparison, the term "volar" applies to both the palm and sole. It comes from word "vola" which the Romans used for "the palm of the hand and the sole of the foot."
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions