Lacto-Ovo Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- 2 corn tortillas
- Canola cooking spray
- 2 large eggs, higher omega-3 if available
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 links Boca Italian Meatless Sausage, partially thawed and coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained (canned or cooked pinto or kidney beans can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (white and part of green)
- 2 ounces shredded reduced fat cheese of choice (sharp cheddar or Jack or other)
- 1/4 cup salsa of choice
- 1/4 large avocado, thinly sliced
- Coat both sides of a corn tortilla with canola cooking spray and place in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When the underside is lightly brown, flip tortilla over to brown other side. Remove from frying pan and repeat with the second corn tortilla. Set the tortillas aside.
- With fork, whisk, or electric mixer, beat eggs with egg substitute until well blended.
- Add the meatless Italian sausage chunks to the same frying pan as the corn tortillas (add another coat of cooking spray if needed) and cook over medium-high heat until hot throughout and lightly browning in some areas. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low (if your stove runs hot) and pour in the egg mixture and gently stir the egg with the sausage pieces until the egg is almost cooked throughout (1 to 2 minutes). Turn off the heat then stir in the black beans and green onions. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the egg mixture. Cover pan and let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes (to melt the cheese and blend flavors).
- Place each prepared corn tortillas on a plate then spoon half of the egg mixture on top of each tortilla and top with half of the salsa and the avocado slices. Enjoy!
Makes 2 servings
Per serving: 448 calories, 37.4 g protein, 36.4 g carbohydrate, 17 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 233 mg cholesterol, 8.3 g fiber, 1318 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 34 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009