Meatless Italian Hero Sandwiches
- 2 links Boca Italian Meatless Sausage, partially thawed
- 3 to 6 tablespoons nonalcoholic beer, light beer, or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small green or red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 whole grain hoagie or hot dog buns
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat the pan generously with olive oil or canola cooking spray. Add the sausage links and the beer, reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and simmer for about 6 minutes.
- While the sausage is being warmed up, heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are tender (about 8 minutes). After the first 4 minutes, add up to 1/2 cup water to the skillet as needed to help cook the vegetables.
- Preheat the broiler or toaster oven broiler. Split the rolls lengthwise in half and spray the slit sides with olive oil or canola cooking spray. Set under the broiler briefly just to crisp the bread (watch carefully). Cut the sausages lengthwise in half. Layer the pepper and onion mixture and the split links on the roll bottom. Add the top of the rolls. Cut each roll crosswise in half for easier eating.
Makes 2 servings
Per serving: 321 calories, 18 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat, .9 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 861 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30% percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009