Meatless Meatball Marinara Sandwich
- Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs (or similar product)
- 2/3 cup bottled pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 whole grain sandwich roll
- Canola cooking spray
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cheese or choice (soy cheese can be substituted)
- Optional: sautéed green bell pepper strips or caramelized onions
(In nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, sauté 1 cup thinly sliced green pepper or thinly sliced onion in a teaspoon canola or olive oil or canola cooking spray until tender and lightly brown in some areas).
- Place frozen meatless meatballs in a microwave-safe container and heat on HIGH for about one minute. Cover meatballs with the pizza sauce, cover the container (so it doesn't splatter) and continue to heat in microwave for 30 seconds more.
- Meanwhile, toast your sandwich roll halves in the toaster or toaster oven, or grill them in a nonstick frying pan (spray the cut sides of the rolls with canola cooking spray) until nicely brown.
- Lay half of the meatball marinara mixture on top of each bottom half of the toasted rolls, then sprinkle half of the cheese over each meatball mixture. Add sautéed green pepper or onions if desired. Cover with the topside of the roll and enjoy!
Makes 2 sandwiches
Per serving: 379 calories, 28 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat, 4.4 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 7.5 g fiber, 1229 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009