Topless Chicken Pot Pie!
Time Saving Note: If you want to trim some prep time, substitute 1 2/3 cups Bertolli Mushroom Alfredo (bottled) for the homemade white sauce. You can also make this dish with or without the bottom crust.
- 1 whole-wheat piecrust, uncooked (optional)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped or sliced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot (baby carrots can be used)
- 1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic
- 3 cups diced roasted or grilled skinless and boneless chicken breast
Homemade White Sauce Option:
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- Olive oil or canola cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set piecrust, if desired, in a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan if not already in one or divide crust into 5 equal circles if using individual pot pie dishes. If making individual pot pies, place each of the crust circles into an individual dish or ramekin about 4- to 4.5-inches wide, set aide.
- Pour 2 teaspoons oil into a medium nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, stir in the onion, celery, and carrot and sauté for a few minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Scoop this mixture into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine light cream cheese, half and half, and flour in a small food processor (or electric mixer) pulsing until smooth. In same medium saucepan over medium-high heat, pour in the cream cheese mixture and continue to stir and gently boil until it thickens (about 2 minutes). Turn off the heat and stir in the pepper, sautéed vegetable, and diced chicken. Spoon mixture into the crust lined pie plate or if making individual pot pies, divide the filling between the 5 individual dishes (about 1 1/4 cups).
- For the topping, in medium sized bowl, combine the Panko, oats, and Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes. Spread topping over the top of the large pot pie or 5 small pot pies. Coat the top generously with canola or olive oil cooking spray. Place pot pie(s) on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for about 30 minutes (for one large pie) or 20 minutes (for individual pies) or until crust is nicely browned.
Makes 5 servings
Per serving (with bottom crust): 440 calories, 36 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 18 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 93 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 564 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009