Desserts: Cakes, Cookies, and others
Low-Cal Cocoa Meringue Cookies
If you don't want to use the Splenda or you don't have any in your pantry, just leave it out -- it works well either way!
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons Splenda (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper (foil can also be used).
- In a large, clean, grease-free mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add sugar and Splenda; beating until stiff peaks form and mixture becomes glossy. Beat in vanilla extract and fold in cocoa powder until blended in well.
- Drop mixture by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until meringues are firm and dry. Slide parchment onto wire racks to cool cookies completely. They will firm up a bit as they cool. If you aren't eating or serving the cookies right away, store them in an airtight container or plastic sealed bag.
Makes 32 cocoa meringue cookies (8 servings of 4 cookies each)
Per serving (4 cookies): 58 calories, 2 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, .5 g fiber, 21 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 0 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009