Soups and Sandwiches: Soups
Light and Extra Quick Matzo Ball Chicken Soup
- 1 packet Matzo Ball Mix (Manischewitz)
- 1 large egg, omega-3 if available
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (18.5 ounces each) 45% less sodium Chicken & Wild Rice (Progresso), or similar
- In small bowl, whisk egg, egg white, sour cream, and canola oil together until smooth.
- Stir in the contents of one packet of the matzo ball mix and stir with fork until evenly mixed.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, empty both cans of chicken soup into a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Wet hands and form matzo ball batter into balls about 1-inch wide. (you can also use two small spoons to form balls if you prefer).
- Drop the balls into the gently boiling soup; cover saucepan tightly; reduce heat to simmer, and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Spoon soup into 3 bowls, making sure everyone has plenty of matzo balls!
Makes 3 servings
per serving: 275 calories, 14 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 92 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1626 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009