Appetizers, Snacks, Dips, Salsas, and Spreads: Spreads
Strawberry Orange Freezer Jam
- 4 cups crushed strawberries (about 8 cups of sliced strawberries)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped orange zest (finely grated peel from one large orange)
- Orange segments from 1 orange
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 box Less Sugar Jam package (i.e. Sure Jell No Sugar Needed)
- In large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of crushed strawberries, orange zest, and 3 cups of sugar and let the mixture stand for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve the Less Sugar jam powder from the packet in one cup of cold water in a small or medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and boil for one minute.
- Stir the hot pectin mixture into the berry mixture and stir vigorously for two minutes.
- Pour the jam into clean freezer containers or jars, leaving one-half inch at the top of the container (the jam will expand as it freezes). Cover the containers and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours or until jam has set and thickened. Keep in freezer until ready to use.
- To use the frozen jam, thaw a jar or container in the refrigerator overnight and stir the jam before using.
Makes at least 6, 1-cup jars or containers of jam
Per 1/8 cup serving: 45 calories, .2 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, .1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, .6 g fiber, 10 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 2 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009