Definition of Atrial flutter
Atrial flutter: Well-organized but overly rapid contractions of the atrium of the heart (usually at a rate of 250-350 contractions per minute).
Flutter refers to a rapid vibration or pulsation. The difference between flutter and fibrillation is that flutter is well organized while fibrillation is not. Atrial flutter is a serious and potentially unstable rhythm of the heart.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions