Definition of Acromion
Acromion: The projection of the scapula (the shoulder blade) that forms the point of the shoulder.
The acromion is part of the scapula. It protrudes laterally (away from the midline) and is triangular in shape.
The top of the shoulder is acromial. The word "acromion" comes from the Greek "akron", peak + "omos", shoulder = the peak of the shoulder.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions