Viewer Question:Is it safe to have a joint aspiration or injection while taking the blood thinner Coumadin?
Doctor's Response:In a careful study (Arthritis Rheum. 1998;41:736-739), researchers found a very low risk of bleeding. They also found significant benefit for patients after either aspiration (withdrawal of fluid) or joint injection procedures. This has been supported by other studies.
Some doctors recommend topical application of cold pack or ice pack after such procedures to minimize the risk of bleeding as well as to reduce local inflammation after the procedure.
Thank you for your question.
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions