Roasted Chicken Breasts with Herbs on Collard Greens
Recipe Courtesy of Bob Greene, "The Best Life Diet Cookbook"
THIS IS A SIGNIFICANTLY more healthful version of fried chicken and collard greens. Enjoy it any time you'd like!
|3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, tightly packed
||1/4 teaspoon salt (1/8 for breadcrumbs, 1/8 for greens)
|1/2 onion, chopped
||Vegetable oil cooking spray
|1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
||4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, about 4 ounces each
|1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
||4 cups collard greens, well washed and julienned
|1 teaspoon mustard powder
||2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
|4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (2 for chicken, 2 for greens)
||Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat a heavy bottomed ovenproof skillet, large enough to comfortably fit the chicken breasts, over medium heat.
- Combine the bread crumbs, onion, thyme, rosemary, mustard powder, 2 garlic cloves, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a food processor for 1 minute.
- Lightly coat the skillet with cooking spray and place the chicken breasts smooth side down. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and turn the chicken over. Coat the browned side of the chicken with the bread crumbs mixture.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat the greens with the cooking spray.
- Toss the greens with 2 garlic colves and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Place the greens on a sheet pan and cook in the oven for 10 minutes, tossing every 3 minutes.
- Remove the greens and immediately toss with the vinegar and pepper.
- To serve, divide the collard greens among 4 plates and top each with 1 chicken breast.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
PER SERVING, ABOUT: Calories: 215 Protein: 30 g Carbohydrate: 18 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Sugars: 3 g Total Fat: 2 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 66 mg Calcium: 100 mg Sodium: 259 mg
Get Fit! Oprah's Trainer Shows You How. Read Bob Greene's Tips on WebMD »
Last Editorial Review: 12/15/2008