Definition of Absence of the nipple
Absence of the nipple: Medically called athelia, this is a rare condition that may occur with a number of hereditary diseases or chromosomal defects, such as Poland Syndrome, progeria (premature aging), ectodermal dysplasia, and Yunis-Varon syndrome. Athelia tends to occurs on one side (unilaterally) in children with the Poland sequence and on both sides (bilaterally) in certain types of ectodermal dysplasia.
Athelia is distinguished from amastia, wherein the breast is absent, and from amazia, wherein breast tissue is absent but the nipple is still resent.
Last Editorial Review: 10/30/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions