Meat Entrees & Soups
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoon whiskey or brandy (optional)
- 12 to 16 ounces braised beef tips (small lean cubes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced or chopped garlic (or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed vegetables (whatever you have on hand such as eggplant or zucchini)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes (crumble while adding)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili con carne seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (add more to taste)
- 24 ounce can stewed Mexican style tomatoes (or 2 cans, 14.5-ounce each)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional—if you have it on hand)
- In large, nonstick skillet or saucepan, heat oil and garlic over medium-high heat. Add beef cubes and let saute for a minute, stirring constantly. Add whiskey, brandy, or water and stir.
- Stir onions and vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, etc.) into beef mixture and simmer about a minute. Stir in spices and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in tomatoes with juice, tomato paste (if desired), and beans.
- Cover skillet and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4 to 6 servings
Per serving: 246 calories, 22.5 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2.2 g saturated fat, 3 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 41 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 538 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25 percent. Omega-3 fatty acids = 0.2 gram, omega-6 fatty acids = 0.4 gram.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 10/27/2008