- 9-inch pie crust, baked (use whole wheat if available)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 4 cups whole strawberries, trimmed of tops and rinsed and dried well
- 8 dollops of light whipped cream or similar (optional)
- Bake pie crust as directed on the package (be sure to prick several times with a fork before baking.)
- While pie crust is baking, prepare the strawberry syrup. In small bowl, combine water with cornstarch; set aside. Pour sliced strawberries into medium nonstick saucepan and mash well with potato masher. Stir in the sugar and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into strawberry mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer until nicely thickened, stirring constantly (about 5 minutes.) Let cool.
- Arrange whole strawberries in the baked, cooled pie crust. Pour mixture evenly over berries in the piecrust. Chill for several hours before serving. Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of light whipped cream, if desired.
Per serving: 222 calories, 2 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 6.4 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 147 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 10/27/2008