Definition of Syndrome, SAPHO
Syndrome, SAPHO: SAPHO syndrome is an eponym for a condition which is characterized by a combination of:
SAPHO syndrome, it is thought, may be related to the group of arthritis conditions which typically affect the spine called the spondyloarthropathies and which include ankylosing spondylitis and Reiter syndrome.
The eponym SAPHO is pronounced "saffo" like the name of the ancient Greek poet Sappho (whose concise intense lyric poetry was so superb that two centuries after her death Plato called her the tenth muse).
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions