Dangerous Drugs for Baby During Pregnancy
There are many drugs that can be dangerous for the baby if taken by the mother during pregnancy. Drugs that are dangerous for the baby if taken during pregnancy are called teratogenic. They are referred to as teratogens.
A teratogen is an agent that can disturb the development of the embryo or fetus. Teratogens halt the pregnancy or produce a congenital malformation (a birth defect). Classes of teratogens include radiation, maternal infections, chemicals, and drugs.
Drugs that are capable of acting as teratogens include:
For more on pregnancy, please visit the Pregnancy Planning Center.
Last Editorial Review: 7/7/2004
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions