Viewer Question:Dermabrasion -- I don't know if that is the actual name of the procedure, but is it smoothing scarred skin after adolescent/teen acne?
Doctor's Response:Dermabrasion is a surgical procedure that involves the controlled abrasion (wearing away) of the upper layers of the skin with sandpaper or other mechanical means.
Dermabrasion is potentially dangerous and should not be done indiscriminately.
The term "dermabrasion" comes from the Greek "derma", skin + the Latin " abrasio", wearing away = wearing away the skin.
Last Editorial Review: 4/1/2002
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions