Viewer Question:What home strategies can help mite allergies?
Doctor's Response:Home measures that have been proven to be useful in improving mite-related allergic conditions (such as asthma and eczema) include strategies that are designed to avoid exposure to the mites. Mattress encasement in semi-permeable plastic, such as those made from high-density polyethylene fibers of Tyvek, and carpet removal have been proven to be helpful.
There is no additional benefit in shampooing carpets with anti-mite shampoo according to the Melbourne House Dust Mite Study.
Last Editorial Review: 4/5/2002
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions