What is the percentage of patients with ankylosing spondylitis that have HLA-B27 negative blood testing?
Ankylosing spondylitis is strongly associated with the HLA-B27 gene. Testing is positive in over 90% of Caucasians. A negative test could be found in approximately 10% of Caucasian patients with the disease. The relationship is less strong in Blacks with only 50% of patients having a positive test.
Thank you for your question.
Last Editorial Review: 2/1/2005
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions