Whole Grains: How to Cook Whole Grains (cont.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine barley, rice, and onion soup mix in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place chicken breast strips evenly on top of the mixture.
- In medium bowl, combine condensed cream of mushroom soup, fat-free sour cream, chicken broth, and sliced mushrooms. Spread on top of the chicken and barley mixture. Cover pan with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, sprinkle almonds and parsley over the top and bake 15 minutes more. Serve hot.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Information per serving: 343 calories, 26 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 7.8 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 52 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 358 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 21%.
Multi-Grain Buttermilk Pancakes
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, quick-cooking rolled oats, or wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lite pancake syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons less-fat margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
1 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten
- In large mixing bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, white flour, flaxseed or oats, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and salt, by beating on low speed.
- Drizzle pancake syrup into the bowl, and drop pieces of margarine into it, and beat on medium-low speed until mixture has a sand-like consistency.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture; pour in buttermilk and beaten egg. Beat on low speed just until well blended. If batter seems thin, stir in a tablespoon more of oats or whole-wheat flour.
- Start heating a nonstick skillet, griddle, or frying pan over medium heat. Coat the surface lightly with canola cooking spray and ladle about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the pan. Once bubbles form on surface of pancakes, flip over to lightly brown other side. Remove cooked pancakes to serving platter, coat skillet lightly with canola cooking spray and continue making more until batter is gone.
Yield: Makes 12-14 pancakes (about 4 servings)
Nutrition Information Per serving: 242 calories, 9 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 58 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 616 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 32%.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; ©2008 Elaine Magee
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, is the "Recipe Doctor" for the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic and the author of numerous books on nutrition and health. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.
Published April 10, 2008.
SOURCES: Cassidy Stockton, marketing project manager, Bob's Red Mill, Milwaukie, Oregon. WebMD Medical News article, Whole-Grain Cereal Saves Lives, published Feb. 26, 2003. Smith, Edge, M. et al, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, December 2005; 105:12, pp 1856-1860. ESHA Research Food Processor software. Bob's Red Mill website.
©2008 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.