Vegetable & Side Dishes: Vegetables
Italian-Style Veggie Bake
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups bottled pizza sauce or marinara
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup Heart Smart Bisquick
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg (higher omega-3 if available)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with canola cooking spray.
- Pour olive oil into a large nonstick frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. When nice and hot, add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and zucchini to the frying pan and saute until tender and lightly brown. Turn off the heat, stir in the pizza or marinara and spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and green onions (if desired) until blended. Drop small spoonfuls of this mixture on top of the mushroom mixture.
- In the small bowl, combine the Bisquick, milk, and egg together using a fork. Pour this over the cheese and veggie mixture in the baking dish. Coat one side of a sheet of foil with cooking spray and cover the baking dish well with it, sprayed side against the food. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Uncover the dish, sprinkle the mozzarella over the top, and bake until cheese is melted (5 to 10 minutes).
Makes about 6 servings
Per serving: 275 calories, 17 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 750 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 39 percent.
© 2008 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 4/7/2008